HW 7 Midterm

How, November 2010. Page 53

For this week's blog, I talk about finding something that is interesting and connecting that interest into graphic design.  I quickly looked through a magazine and immediately this photo caught my attention.  It is a photo of typewriters.  Most of us have probably never used a typewriter before, but at least we know what they are.  We know that before there was Microsoft word or printers, the typewriter was the tool to use to type essays, letters, and just about anything related to text.  Why would I choose type writers to cover this topic? I chose it simply because it is considered to be obsolete technology.  Like cellphones replacing payphones, many people just prefer the technologically advanced tools that are easier to use rather than using older tools that require more maintenance.  As technology becomes more and more advanced, many people are abandoning the the tools of the past and are not looking back.  Sounds sad right? It is, but there is one positive thing I can point out.

The technology of the past has returned, but not for regular use.  Most obsolete tools now serve a purpose in the art world where viewers can look and admire what was once used in the past.  For me, I admired the history and the creativity that was put to display these.  

You will notice that despite there being a repetition of typewriter, each one is different in its own way.  For starters, the first three typewriters I see are the same model and structure, but they are all different colors, we have some variety here.  As I continue looking onward, the photo begins to fade, but we have a different looking typewriter and the one right next to it is also different. The appearance and structure might look different, but the repetition and function of the typewriter is the same so there is a fair balance between what is different and what is the same.  It's great to see that these serve a purpose as art, but the question I have is, will they also serve their main function of typing again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HW9

HW10

HW13